Friday, June 6, 2008

more on BPA

So Missie's comment on my last post on BPA-free bottle choices had me running a quick fact check to make sure my post was indeed correct. It turns out that though Avent bottles are made in England, only one product in their entire line of products is BPA-free. That would be the Via system (which unfortunately, we do not own).

"All Avent bottles are made of polycarbonate plastic with the exception of the Via System, which is made of polypropylene plastic. Avent is a major competitor in the baby bottle market, and it is quite a surprise that only one system in its large product line is BPA-free. " View Source


Below are some other interesting articles on the subject:
Toss Plastic Baby Bottles, Researchers Warn Parents
Bisphenol-A and Plastic Baby Bottles
BPA-Free Baby Bottles: Medela, Gerber and More
The Hidden Danger Behind Plastic Baby Bottles

This article actually shows both sides of the argument:
Common Plastics Chemical -- BPA (BISPHENOL A) -- Safe, According to NIH

Other resources:
http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/




After further research, and a quick budget check, though I mentioned my affinity for the Weegoo glass bottles, the price tag has me looking for other alternatives. I have found a suitable substitute in the Think Baby brand. They have a unique venting system and I have ordered one to see how it works. I'll report back on my findings.







Running a close second is the Grow Baby brand, and I really like that the Green to Grow founders are committed to seeking environmentally sound business solutions and consider the environmental impact of every decision they make. They use 100% recycled paper and soy inks in all packaging and printed corporate materials. They have also partnered with 1% for the Planet, pledging to donate 1% of their annual sales to environmental causes.

I may spring for one of these as well, just to compare.

You can't get either one of these brands at places like Target or Babies R Us. This website is great if you want to order online: http://www.thesoftlanding.com/shop.html I think I posted this link in my last BPA post as well. But really, guys, worth posting twice. It also has a selection of sippy cups for those of you with older kiddos. I plan to post on that later when Dutch gets to that stage.




No comments: