Saturday, May 3, 2008

Disclaimer

So before I got pregnant about a year ago, I was very much into the researching and implementing of an 'eating for health' lifestyle. I read everything I could get my hands on about processed foods, dyes, and toxins in my daily life and came to the conclusion that the only way to go was raw foods. I was slowly on my way to moving from vegetarian to vegan (if I could only get past cheese, oh glorious cheese!) and then we decided to get pregnant. In the next 9+ months I pretty much ate whatever I wanted to and paid no attention to labels, nutritional information, or really even made sure I ate a decent amount of 'fresh veg'. I know, I know, it's completely backwards. Despite my horrible eating, the Lord is good and blessed us with a very healthy little boy. Now, 5 months later, I am once again sick and grossed out by the typical American diet I had succumbed to, and am determined to build a foundation of good eating habits and choices in my son who is just now beginning to eat solid foods.

This blog is more for me than anyone else, but if you find it helpful, I am glad to be of assistance. In true OCD fashion, I tend to research the hell out of something, and this is my information repository as such. I will do my best to only post information, links, and documents that I feel have been thoroughly researched by the author, however, I will probably also include commentaries or editorials. All that to say, don't take anything at face value, but research it yourself before you form a true opinion.

This is also to help me organize my reasons for defending the lifestyle I am pursuing. As with anything, I feel there needs to be a balance between extremes. Right now I am closer to the American diet extreme and have a long path ahead of me towards the vegan way of life. I don't intend to go barefoot, stop showering and only eat things I've grown in my backyard garden. But I do intend, as my research leads me, to start making small changes in my lifestyle that will gradually get me to where I want to be.

No comments: